Critical Aspects of Drug Labels
We can classify the various considerations involving drug labels into two categories – those relating to the design of the label and those relating to the physical qualities of the same.
As for the design of the pharmaceutical labels, they must be created based on the following considerations:
- Information required by laws, regulations, and conventions– The government authorities of various countries of the world, like the Federal Drug Authority (FDA) of the USA, have laid out clear instructions regarding some of the details that every drug manufacturer must include on their products. Even if the law is not stringent, it may be desirable to do so because of other regulations or conventions – or labelling in pharmaceutical industries may display such information just to avoid potential lawsuits. Such information may include the expiry, contents of medicine, manufacture details, side-effects, storage information, usage instructions, warnings, etc.
- Crucial details– Some details should be shown on drug labels, like the contents of the drug, batch number, brand name, quantity manufacturing date, etc. that a company may wish to display even if it is not required by law.
- Other things– The labels on medicines may also show a graphical representation, logo colour, or colour combinations to help the product stand out among its competitors. It may also be desirable to provide the contact information of the drug manufacturer.
- Typography – Another consideration is typography. Often drug labels contain information in a variety of font sizes, styles, etc. The size will depend on the value attached to the information. That said, even the smallest fonts on these labels should be readable. Often the name of the brand and active ingredients have the largest fonts, while things like batch number, manufacturing, and expiry date, etc. are printed separately and in a different font style.
Regarding the physical printing of labels, one must approach it while keeping in that the drugs may be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature. The labels should be printed on paper or material that withstands all such conditions; the printed words should stay clear too.
The actual printing will also depend on the kind of drugs in question. Let us look at these various types of cases
- Labels On Medicines That Must Be Chewed Or Swallowed
As regards solids medicines that must be chewed or swallowed, they come in different kinds of packages, including capsule backers, boxes, bottles, etc. The labels on medicines like that should be such that the information can be displayed on all such kinds of packaging.
- A drug facts label
A drug facts label is provided along with an Over The Counter (OTC) drug and contains, as its name suggests, valuable information relating to the drug. Since OTC drugs won’t require a prescription from a doctor, anyone can buy them, and this label is required to inform the users all they need to know about whale using them.
The following are some of the most important details contained on a drug facts label:
- Active ingredients – often listed at the top of the drug facts label, they are the compounds in the medicine that are supposed to relieve symptoms. It is the first item listed on the label.
- The uses of the drugs. Sometimes they are called indications.
- Warnings and side-effects
- Directions for usage, including amounts and frequency to be consumed.
- Other information, such as that relating to storage
- Inactive ingredients – unlike active ingredients, they don’t treat the symptoms but are added as binding agents, preservatives, and colouring. People with allergies must carefully check both active and inactive compounds.
- Contact details in case one has questions or comments.
All this information should be written in visible fonts that won’t be erased easily over time.
Stars Labels – For The Best Labelling In Pharmaceutical Industries
When it comes to labelling in pharmaceutical industries, Stars Labels is an enterprise that stands apart for its ability to create the highest quality printers that manage to meet all the laws as well as specifications our customers may have.
We have in-house design experts in dealing with any design challenges you may face, and we use state-of-art printing technology along with industrial benchmark material to ensure that our pharma industry clients get nothing but premium labels as we know that people deserve nothing less when it comes to their safety.
Despite their high quality, these labels are sold only at the best prices you will find for similar products. Once you place an order, you can expect timely delivery. If you have any queries or doubts, please feel free to contact us with them.
We shall look forward to a chance to provide you with our premium pharma labels.
Our production facilities run 24*7. Not only do we have great experience in printing label for Pharmaceutical but also in Automotive industries, Food, Beauty & Personal Care, Home Care, etc. We have become a one-stop destination for any type of label printing.
If you have any queries, kindly contact us. Our customer service is always willing to attend to the needs of our clients. We look forward to hearing from you.